Consultants: Stop Overdelivering
The compulsive desire to overdeliver is a challenge many consultants (including some of my clients) are stuck in. I see it especially with women.
Here’s an example: I worked with an amazing three-woman firm of consultants who would co-develop programs together with their clients – every time, even though it was a complete Signature System.
Instead of telling clients they had a program valued at $130K, they had been redeveloping it with clients to justify the $130K price. But the program already had $130K of value, and didn’t need to be finessed for each client.
They didn’t realize they didn’t need to create new development costs; they could just charge for the program that already had value.
Just like this consulting firm, you don’t have to do that. You don’t have to overdeliver; you just have to do what’s needed to get your clients results. In this episode, I share how to break the habit of overdelivering and why it’s important.
Key areas discussed in this episode
- 0:29 How a three-woman consulting firm stopped overdelivering
- 2:30 What happens when consultants are in the middle of a project and start to feel like they’re not doing enough
- 2:55 3 reasons why overdelivering doesn’t work and isn’t helpful
- 3:25 Why less is more and how to implement that in your delivery for clients
- 5:30 What clients really need from you (and what they don’t really care about)
- 6:05 Why consultants overdeliver + 2 ways to break your overdelivering habit
- 6:43 A paradigm shift for the advice to “underpromise and overdeliver”
- 7:30 How to surprise and delight your clients without overdelivering and burning out
Subscribe to our weekly updates:
“highly condensed wisdom workshops”
“no nonsense and practical with such an open heart”
“insight and implementable nuggets”
“the very best golden nuggets in these bite-size podcast episodes”
“practical, bite-sized action steps”
Get This Episode on Other Platforms:
Discover Our Collections
Select a collection below for episodes on a particular theme.